Flickr Badge

Saturday, November 08, 2008

Zebras fight for dominance


Zebras fight for dominance
Originally uploaded by Siddhi
I took the photo on the right in September. It shows two zebras fighting for dominance.

This is part of a complex ritual that zebras use to show dominant behaviour. It starts with zebras pressing sides together and rubbing cheeks and ends up with both zebras jumping on their forelegs. The entire ritual is explained in more detail on this page.

The first time I saw this, I was completely unprepared to take a photo. I have a photo with the heads cut off because I didn't expect them to stand up. I was better prepared after reading about the ritual. The next time I saw a zebra issue a challenge, I waited with the camera in position knowing that they will eventually jump. The result is this photograph.

1 comment:

Neela said...

Good to read your blog again