Flickr Badge

Wednesday, March 10, 2004

I just ran into a great resource for wet shaving.

These two MSN groups are really good -

WetShavers
TheWetShavers

I've recently been looking into my shaving methods in more detail, and nowdays my shaving is more fun than it has ever been, and I feel totally great after I'm done. Some days I spend up to twenty minutes just shaving. Wonderful ! Banished forever are the days when shaving was boring, and took just 2 minutes. I'm now on the quest to find the perfect shave, no matter how long it takes.

My current shaving regime is -

Splash warm water on face
Dip brush into water and let the excess water drain
Add shaving cream to brush
Apply to face and lather on the face
Shave with the grain with minimal pressure (for me that is downwards on my face as well as neck)
Wash face
Apply non-alcoholic aftershave gel


I'll be adding a couple of extra steps tomorrow -

Place warm towel on face for 30 seconds to further soften hair and open pores
Lather on the palm of my hand before applying cream to the face
Convert the one pass shave to a two pass shave - with the grain and across the grain
Store used razor blades in a cup filled with vegetable oil (to preserve sharpness). Apparently this extends the lifespan of the blades.

The main test will be the shave around my neck area, especially around the adams apple. The shave over there is usually not very smooth and the skin there is prone to irritation and ingrown hairs. This is why I only rarely shave against the grain in my neck region. Will have to see if the towel makes it better.

Anyone else with some other ideas on shaving ?

No comments: